Friday, August 29, 2008

Pies and Pianos

My dad is very active in Canyonville's Pioneer Days celebrations. It is a big fundraiser for the students he takes to the coast for the week at the end of the school year. My dad asked my if I would make a pie for the pie auction, and then he would enter them under his name, "MR. J". They even had a professional auctioneer for the event! The money raised goes to the Lions for local community projects. The crowd went wild when they foumd my dad, Mr. J, entered two pies. For my dad, I made a blueberry pie (with my homemade canned filling) and it went for $125.oo. Then I made a German Apple pie which went for $115.00. It was a lot of fun seeing local merchants and families compete against each other during the auction.
I have always wanted to have a piano in my classroom. I do a LOT of singing with my students, and it is so much fun! Several years ago our custodian asked if I had wanted an old high back piano that she was moving out of another classroom. I was in the middle of my graduate work and the logistics of trying to fit it in my room felt like an overwhelming hassle. However, one night last week I could not sleep and I remembered the old piano in storage. However, Susan (my good friend and teaching partner) reminded me that there were 2 pianos in storage. She and I went to look at both if them and I felt like a little kid in a candy shop comparing the sound quality, tone, and overall appearance of each instrument. I finally chose this black one. I am so excited to share my love of music with my students, not vocally, but now by playing the piano too. In time for Meet the Teacher night, my sweet husband bought me a bouquet, as a final touch!

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Love your new (blog) look! What a compliment that your pies were auctioned off for so much $$$. The piano is going to be such a fun addition to your classroom.

Michelle said...

Your blog looks very nice. How cool to have a piano in your classroom. I think music adds so much to a child's education.

Christina said...

The pies look yummy and the piano will be such a special touch - something the kids will remember. In response to your comment on my latest blog - just 2 boys in school until the 2010 school year.

busymomof4 said...

The kids are going to have a lot of fun with the piano to play along while they sing. I think it is a nice touch, too bad you didn't have it when you had my boys...oh well, there is always next year.