Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Do you "Truffle Shuffle?"

This last spring the movie, The Goonies, became very popular with the students in my room. They were constantly quoting the movie, doing the truffle shuffle, and it amounted to a lot of silliness at times! I had never seen nor heard of the movie. The kids thought I was crazy and one of them asked if I grew up on another planet. So, one of my kiddos brought the movie to school and I took it home to watch. Fortunately Jason loved the movie as a kid, and enjoyed seeing it again. The next morning I understood the kid's jokes from the movie and I was able to get in on their fun. So, in Astoria we found the original house that was used in the movie. It was a bit tricky to find with all the older roads and neighborhoods. As we approached the dirt driveway that lead up to the house there was a BIG sign that read something about a private drive, no cars, pictures, or trespassers. I think the people who now live here got tired of all the tourists. So my dad and I ran up the hill, quickly snapped some pictures (trying to get as close to the house as we could without being spotted) and ran back to the car. I felt like I had broken a law and gotten away with it!

Next we ventured to the John Jacob Astor Elementary school where the movie, Kindergarten Cop was filmed.
Do you think our "Arnold" poses would scare away naughty students?

1 comments:

Michelle said...

Can't believe you hadn't seen "Goonies". Little shocked that younger kids know all the jokes. I haven't let my girls see it yet. I however think it is a great movie and I enjoy watching it. By the way, I hope you are recovering well from your surgery.