Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Column


When we went to visit the Astoria Column it had been closed! I was so disappointed, as Jason had never been there. Apparently the stairs, which were 83 years old, were being replaced for safety reasons. It will reopen in January 2009.....maybe next time! The pictures on the Column are beautiful. They tell the history of the Lewis & Clark Expedition.

From the top of the mountain where the Column sits, you can see all over the city of Astoria, the Columbia River, and the in between mountains and valleys. Picturesque views like these make me love Oregon more and more. The views form the very top of the Column are similar to these, so we weren't entirely disappointed.


My dad and Jason were admiring this topographical map of the area. Secretly I think they were also looking for directions to the next place we were going to visit!

1 comments:

Keri said...

I LOVE the Goonies, but I hadn't seen it either until I was in college. I guess in Canyonville, Goonies just wasn't as popular a movie. I've enjoyed seeing all your pictures from your vacation. It sounds awesome! And I hope your recovery from surgery is going smoothly!