Friday, July 31, 2009

A Very BAD thing!

Toady Jason was helping me finish up canning the peach pie filling and plain peaches. Last year when we canned we had a grill outside that had a great burner and we ran the canner outside. Well, that grill died and we have a different one. That was how we planned to work today. So I was checking on the canner outside because I saw what I thought was steam, meaning it was ready to start the first batch. Upon going out side to check, the burner side of the grill was engulfed in flames!!! After putting out the fire we realized the platform the burner was on was plastic and not stainless steel. The flames melted through the entire back side as you can see below. It was so scary as the flames were VERY close to the house.

So the problem solvers that we are....we called my parents and they brought their grill with the similar set up. So I happily loaded the canner with peach pie filling and went inside
to be about my business. All the sudden we heard what sounded like a big explosion. The whole grill canner and contents tipped over because of the weight. The canner was ruined and I lost several jars of filling. Glass shards were all over the place and I cut my hand trying to clean up the mess.

Then my dad had this idea to check in town to see if they have something that was similar to a platform with a gas burner. They found this "Camp Chef," which is actually used to can, cook crab in etc. So they set it up while I shopped for a new canner.....meanwhile everything at home was still a mess, especially in the kitchen.

Ahhhh.....finally after hours of work, here is the burner working like a dream with a load of peaches inside. I even bought a second new canner because it will save so much time when we do salsa, applesauce and pears. What a day!!

5 comments:

Keri said...

Wow - what an eventful day for you! I love your new set up though - I'm looking for one of those propane double burners for camping. And canning too I guess. Great idea! Oh, I'll be heading down that way on Monday, August 10th - will you be around? We'd love to stop by.

Sharon (Michelle's Mom) said...

I can't believe that all happened in one day. You sure are persistent when it comes to canning. I think I would have given up. Keep up the good work, you will sure enjoy it all this winter.

Michelle said...

Wow- I'm not sure I would have stuck it out. But now it looks like there was a blessing in the disguise of all that mess. You have a very nice platform to can on and a second canner.

Christina said...

I wish I had as much persistence with some of my chores around the house!

Nana's Journal said...

This is the setup that I've been using for years...sorry about the bbq! What a mess! glad you are ok!