Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Best Day Ever

Today was the last full day of school, and tomorrow we have a half day left. Two nights ago Susan and I went shopping for an end of the year gift for the kids. We got them sand buckets and filled them with a $5.00 DQ gift card, summer goodies, coloring books, math flash cards, etc. The kids had no idea.

I couldn't resist capturing the looks of their faces when they first walked in!

At the end of the day, the kids (and Cheryl and Jessica) gave me a framed and signed photo collage that was mounted and the kids signed their name on the mounting. Then I got three gift certificated to my favorite places!! I guess they had been planning this for a while and even sent home notes to parents.....I was shocked that the kids kept the secret for so long....I was totally clueless. Never in my six years of teaching have I received a gift so generous, personal, or so nice. I even got a little teary. I am a little saddened though. This class has been one of the better classes I have had in a while. They are also my last second grade class, as I will be teaching first grade next year. This time of year is always a little bitter sweet for me! I just love and get so attached to my kids. They truly are a wonderful group and I will miss them bunches!

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

We will miss having you as Alyssa's teacher next year. It has been such a great year for Alyssa!! Glad we could surprise you with a little something to end the year. You did a great job shopping for the kids. I heard all about it from both of mine. Thank you for even including Aubrey :)

Michelle said...

How very special both for you and for the kids. I have to say that I am a little disappointed that you are moving to 1st grade but it will be great I am sure. I'm just being selfish because of Tori. Have a wonderful summer and enjoy the days. Glad you had a great year.

busymomof4 said...

That is so great what you and Susan did for the kids, I'm sure they really appreciated it.
I am also really sad you will not be teaching 2nd grade next year, Austin was really excited to have you next year. I liked the fact that you already had half my kids and hoped you would get the other half. I am sure you will enjoy your new position. Enjoy the summer.

Christina said...

What a great end of the year! I'm a little jealous - middle school teachers are lucky if a kid says thank you!

Won't those first graders be lucky to have you?!?!?

Enjoy your summer!