Monday, June 28, 2010

Apricot Syrup

Two weeks ago Susan and I made apricot syrup. It sounds interesting, but it is so sweet and tangy! I could eat it plain from the jar and be a happy camper. It is super easy due to a different type of canning method and pectin used.
First we pureed the apricots with skins. Then we added sugar and a special liquid pectin called Serto. Then brought it to a boil and poured it into jar.

Then we let the jars cool upside down and they sealed themselves due to the Serto. So we didn't need to water bath them at all. It was so easy to do!

Then I made really thin pancakes and enjoyed the syrup in large quantities. Yummo!!!

3 comments:

Keri said...

Mmmmm....so when you do jams, can you water bath can them? Or do you have to pressure can them?

jhughes said...

Water bath....it is way faster and easier, and you can fit more jars in the canner than the pressure cooker....you guys should look for apricots while you are down and give this recpie a try...it is seriously the easiest thing I have ever canned, and is very fast. Remind me and I will give you a little taste when you are here tomorrow!

Jessica said...

That looks so good! I would love to make that this summer.