Thursday, July 10, 2008

Blueberries

This morning Tammy, Kristina, Susan, my mom, and I rolled out of bed to pick blueberries at Haven Farms way out in Umpqua. The berries were so ripe that, with a gentle grip, they rolled off the vines and into the buckets. My mom and I picked about 130 lbs in 2 hours. They only charge 80 cents a pound. The farm is beautiful and located right next to the North Umpqua river.


See the river behind us?!?


Each of us is going to freeze the berries for yummy winter snacks, smoothies, make syrups, and dry them in a food dehydrator. Today I found a wonderful recipe for blueberry pie filling (you can water bath it, just like with jam in a canner) thanks to the OSU Extension Service.

A view of some of the berries from the back of the Volvo.







1 comments:

Michelle said...

Your blueberries are beautiful. Where is this place?